Changes are not Compromises
We all face events in life that requires lot of changes in our life style. Going to school, college, job, marriage, kids, parents care etc. The biggest event in our life is marriage which requires lot of changes in our life style. But most of couple thinks that they are making compromises. Word compromise is bit negative where as word change is positive. Let us change rather than let us compromise.
When 2 people have to live together or many people have to work together, every one needs to change his/her style a bit otherwise it may be uncomfortable for other to live or work together. Your thoughts, your words and your actions may be right according to your perspective but other may not like it or appreciate it. Don’t expect other member to be your photocopy. We all are unique and have unique gene, upbringing, education and experiences. We all are looking at the same elephant but with different angle.
The best way to succeed in married life or work culture is to make changes in your style so that other person is not uncomfortable as long as it is not amounting to compromising on your principles and values. Even your principles and values may be right according to you but not correct according to other person. So keep ultimate goal in mind which is happiness in life and organisational goal at work.
The best way to lead happy and successful life is to keep making changes in interest of your ultimate goal and accept the people way they are rather than expecting them to be way you are.
5 tips for making changes in life:
- Set clear goal for each aspect of your life. Health, work, relationships, finances, hobbies etc.
- we are not alone in the world. We have people in our life, some at close some are distant. So be emotionally intelligent and understand their liking and disliking and make changes in your life style as long as it’s not compromise on ultimate goal.
- Clear and straight communication is critical in every relationship. Presumptions kills the relationship faster than termite.
- Have a periodical dialogue between/among members of family and work to discuss what thing or attitude is making uncomfortable to other member and change if needed.
- Don’t consider change as compromise. We all need to change a bit to fit in ultimate picture of life.